Saturday, September 11, 2010

What was that?




The Critique
Apart from some verbal glitches and some missing elevations in my presentation I received helpful and useful feed back from the review panel and class.

Feedback:
  • A better undertsanding, conviction and introduction of the project was needed. A better organised and precise material relating to the review topic, reviewers and public.
  • Issues with residence separation needs to be thought out. Go back to the originals brief and research and see what works and what doesn't. 
  • Open space! what is too much or too less. Assess the open space requirements from the DCP and what is needed on site. Woolloomooloo has allot of open space within cooee distance from the centre. 
  • A need to strengthen and clarify my concept. Materials, open space, layouts. 
  • The concept of furniture and fixtures to be durable, integrated yet architectural was a good attempt and along the right track. 
  • Internal density of the centre. Arrange rooms to use the limited space wisely. 
  • Public interaction. Why would they got the cafe? Artistic relation to the community and art space? Limits of public and private? 
  • Interesting and challenging concept and brief. 
  • Landscape area and urban response to the pedestrian street. 
Personal Reflection

After my presentation I was disappointed with myself for my lack of preparation and my verbal language in explaining my project.
I have moved on with this project with enthusiasm since the charrette and was getting excited with idea and the form and the romantic possibilities this project will do. However the feedback was good! it grounded me to stop following tangents and look backwards at the big picture and original ideas.
Now I have had a week to get over it, I have gone back to some research and the homelessness forum to ask questions about the layout and what works and doesn't.
http://www.homelessforums.org/showthread.php?p=33536&posted=1#post33536 

So what to do now? 
  • Internal layouts - bedrooms and communal area relationships.
  • Look at details, structure and materiality.
  • Environmental consideration(refine)
  • Open space and use of the site.
  • Public areas - urban planning, cafe/retail element.
  • A new series of vignettes.
  • PHYSICAL MODELS!
  • Contact Bruce Judd(FBE-City Future) for a review of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment