Sunday, November 7, 2010

Images, CAD and Models.. Oh my!

My schedule and programming for work to be completed in preparation for the final review went out the window. More time was spent on tweaking the design, editing layouts and planning. Enough is enough! I had to stop and move onto renders, views and the plans, sections and elevation.

I have been working in 3D in vectorworks 2010 and renderworks. The model was set up with Helidon’s, site lights and internal spotlights and down lights. This caused pain in learning how to place, direct and set brightness and colour to capture the feeling and look of my design. I felt it was important to show night time ‘shots’ of how the centre will look and be used at night. Security being a major concern a light deign was needed to light, passageways, the courtyard and the external façade leading to entry points and the three streets that surround the centre.

Working in 3D CAD and using my sketches allowed me to envisage how the architectural spaces will feel. This was a substitute to concept physical models.  Advantages of both can be argued but time and money were a factor to consider in my approach.
'As an afterthought physical models would have been of benefit to have something tangible for peers and tutors to review'


Apartment LivingRoom
Apartment Bedroom



Courtyard - NightTime
Courtyard - Looking East

The renders and images produced were selected to show key circulation areas and spaces and external views from the public domain, both at day and night.
The circulation images have a pathway in yellow; yellow being the colour of education, safety, joy and to identify the way home, made popular by the wizard of oz.

Hostel Corridor

Hostel Main Foyer

Hostel Bland St Entry





No comments:

Post a Comment